Saturday, April 26, 2014

Gratitude 2 : Ordinariness

The first poem in the series was about unlikely friends. This one once again talks about high school friends, but this time I talk about the usual, perhaps too usual, people.
===============================
Ordinariness

You would walk in
With your bag and bottle of simple colours
Your hair and clothes of simple design
And plop down beside me, and smile.

I would sit up
Your arrival letting me know that it was exactly
Five minutes to homeroom, and I
Would turn to you, and smile.

Half the time
You wouldn't get my 'cool' talk
And at other times, tired of the cool kids,
I would turn to you for support.

You never did
Anything unexpected or unpredictable--
Even your talents were old, time-worn attributes
Of the unchanging you;

Your sameness
Was the perfect foil to my entropy :
The randomness of soul, mind and action that defined
The chaotic, crazy me.

You were annoying
Boring even, because your constancy
Was not conducive to the rebellion of our age
And often I was pressed to agree

But today I am proud
To have known that courage
Which transcends the ordinary desire to be unique
And becomes unique in ordinariness.
===============================

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Speak and you will be heard.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...